Welcome to James White’s Fort
The Birthplace of Knoxville
THE FORT IS OPEN. WE ARE OPEN UNDER PHASE TWO OF THE KNOX COUNTY TENNESSEE HEALTH DEPARTMENT COVID-19 GUIDELINES EFFECTIVE MAY 26
See our policy by clicking this link – James White’s Fort Reopening Policy
Patrons protect your Health and help us stay open, please review this guidance by clicking this link – Public Guidance
Our employee guidance – Our Employee Guidance
The Fort is one of the most visited historical sites in Knoxville. It is a museum home highlighted by the original 1786 residence of James White the founder of Knoxville .
James White was born in 1747 in Rowan County, North Carolina. He was an American pioneer and soldier who founded Knoxville, Tennessee. In 1783, he led an expedition into the upper Tennessee Valley, where he discovered the future site of Knoxville. The fort was chosen as the capital of the Southwest Territory in 1790, and White sold the land and donated lots for a permanent city, Knoxville, in 1791. James White died on August 14, 1821, and was buried next to his wife in the First Presbyterian Church Cemetery at 620 State Street in Knoxville.
In 1970, White’s Fort was reconstructed as a museum in downtown Knoxville. White’s other namesakes in Knoxville include the General James White Memorial Civic Coliseum, the James White Parkway, and the James White Greenway.